#History #Fattorini #Manufacturering #Jeweller #Gold #Silversmith
The firm was founded in 1827 by Antonio Fattorini (1797 – 1860). This remarkable company is still in business at the time of writing this post.
In 1829 the firm was listed as a jeweller in northern England. The exact location was 18 Bazaar, Central Market, Leeds, Yorkshire. This company of manufacturing jewellers was also owned retail premises.
In 1831 Antonio Fattorini opened a shop in the up market spa town of Harrogate in the West Riding of Yorkshire. He was also trading from a large premises at 28 Kirkgate, Bradford in the same county. From here the firm was trading under the name of ‘Fattorini & Sons’.
In their advertising tagline ‘Fattorini & Sons, goldsmiths, Skipton, Harrogate and Bradford’ summed up their reach in Yorkshire.
FATTORINI & SONS LTD
MAKERS TO THE ADMIRALITY AND HIS MAJESTY’S INDIA OFFICE
There are so many members of the Fattorini family who were involved in the business that this post only offers a brief overview.
The Skipton premise was opened in 1848 by Innocent Fattorini.
Innocent married the daughter of Baldassarre Porri who was also a jeweller. When Innocent died his wife continued to run the business. Their son, Thomas, continued in business using his own name. In 1903 Thomas opened another branch in Bolton, Lancashire. He steered the company to become a limited concern in 1919. Trading under the name of Thomas Fattorini (Lancashire) Ltd. The Skipton branch also became a limited company. On his death in 1934 his son, Wilfred, continued to run the business.
THE SKIPTON BRANCH c.1878
SKIPTON SHOP INVOICE
The Harrogate branch (14 Regent Parade) was managed by Antonio Fattorini II.
On the death of Antonio II his sister, Maria Tindall, her son John & nephew Edward H Tindall ran this business. This was such a successful branch that Maria’s great grandsons Charles & Anthony Tindall also joined the firm
The large Bradford premises was run by John & Edward Fattorini.
Another Fattorini firm was active in the midlands of England. Situated at 30 Spencer Street & registered as Frank Fattorini & Son. Francis (Frank) ran this branch. He was the grandson of Frank who was a son of the founder.
The advertisement shown above showcases the Fattorini Rembrandt Pewter Tea Service which was fashioned to have the appearance of Cromwellian period design. The tea service was ornamented with a hammered finish.
The firm patented many different designs, which include clocks.
COMPLETE SPECIFICATION, Improvements in and relating to Alarm Clocks
We, EDWARD FATTORI, JOHN ENRICO FATTORINI, JOHN FATTORINI, and EDWARD JOSEPH FATTORINI, all of 21, Kirkgate, and 27, Westgate, Bradford, in the County of York, Jewellers, do hereby declare the nature of this invention and in what manner the same is to be performed, to be particularly described and ascertained in and by the following statement:-
This invention relates to improvements in alarm clocks, and has for its object the arrangement, construction and application to an alarm clock of certain mechanism whereby an indicating plate will be automatically operated to appear in a convenient position on the clock or face thereof, a considerable number of hours before the clock is timed to go off, and relates more particularly to that class of alarm clock which operates every twenty four hours; instead of every twelve, an example of which will be found in Wood’s Specification No. 16226 of 1892.
Thus, should the clock be set to operate the alarm at, say, five in the morning, an indicator will automatically appear between six and eight in the morning, showing that the clock will be silent for the next twelve hours, and at about six at night, such indicator will automatically change to show that the alarm will be operated in the morning at the time such alarm is set for.
In 1915 the five partners purchased the Birmingham based company the Joseph Moore medal manufacturing firm at 13 Pitsford Street. This too became a limited company named Joseph Moore Ltd & in 1958 this was re-named Fattorini & Sons Ltd of 36 Barr Street, Birmingham.
The advertisement shown above relates to the opening of the Trafalgar Works, Birmingham in 1926/1927, where they are still located at this present moment in time.
CRAVEN HERALD 1930
Compare this photo in the Craven Herald on Friday November 7th 1930 to the Skipton shop in 1878.
A hugely successful firm!
In 1937 Winston Churchill commissioned the firm to craft a mace.
© THOMAS FATTORINI LTD
The Company was commissioned by the Times newspaper to produce a range of replica jewellery for sale at the British Museum during the Tutankhamun Exhibition which ran from March-December 1972.
The Times newspaper was keen to sponsored the exhibition because they had financed the original dig in Egypt which led to the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb.
The four pieces made for sale at the Museum were:
1. A pectoral pendant
2. Scarab bracelet
3. Cartouche ring
4. Eye of the Horus ring
The original samples had to be submitted for the approval of the curator of a museum in Egypt, the Curator of the Egyptian Antiquities and the Fashion Editor of the Times newspaper.
In 2008 Thomas Fattorini Ltd was granted a Royal Warrant by HM The Queen.
© THOMAS FATTORINI LTD
Here is an example of the work of this maker.
EDWARDIAN STERLING SILVER TOOTHBRUSH
A rare unused sterling Art Nouveau silver toothbrush made in 1902 by F. Fattorini & Son Ltd.
This delightful curio was assayed at Birmingham.
The silver toothbrush is decorated in the most extravagant Art Nouveau style.
Thomas Fattorini Ltd.